VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF) version 3, one of the announcements at VMworld 2018 US held last month was just released.
Normally described as “the quickest route to the hybrid cloud”, this technology is becoming required knowledge for the vAdmin in consultancy, partner and enterprise roles.
VCF 3 is an automated private cloud solution from VMware. Using purpose build tools and workflows VCF automates the VMware portfolio of SDDC products to help solve business challenges.
Based on the VMware Validated designs (VVD), the solution allows an enterprise to not only simplify design & deployment but also the day 2 operations of a cloud platform.
The VCF solution has been updated with several key areas including,
Bring your own network / increased vSAN ready node support
Customisation of objects created using the tool (i.e. Names).
Use of external DNS
Stretched Cluster support
To enable some of the above, VCF 3 has had several changes made to the architecture and deployment processes.
Although VCF 3.0 is still very new, there was some amazing content presented within the VMworld 2018 US breakout sessions.
From a business use case perspective to technical deep dives and UI / certificate workflow walkthroughs, a lot of the answers that customers, partners, and IT professionals may ask are presented within these sessions.
To help me with my work I have summarised the VCF 3 changes, and processes in a mind map, while my recommended VMworld VCF breakout session videos and official documentation links are shown below.
Useful VMworld 2018 US Videos
- PRV2201QU – Introduction to VMware Cloud Foundation
- PRV1933BUR – VMware Cloud Foundation Architecture Deep Dive
- PRV1254BU – A Guided Tour of the VMware Cloud Foundation User Experience
- PRV1765BU – Advanced Operations for your VMware Cloud Foundation Based Private Cloud
- PRV2347BU- What’s New with Cloud Foundation: The Simplest Way to Build a Hybrid Cloud
- PRV2113BU – Quick and Easy Certificate Replacement for VMware Cloud Foundation
Official Documentation Links